Prepare To Meet A Personal Injury Lawyer
There are a lot of things to consider after a personal injury, including how medical expenses will get paid and how the injury may have an impact on long term pain and suffering, along with the impact the injury may have on your current enjoyment of the life activities that you have been involved with. It is highly recommended that a lawyer be consulted whenever you believe that your injury was caused by someone else and that you are the victim of irresponsible or negligent behavior or actions. When first meeting with a personal injury lawyer, you should prepare to fully discuss your case so that you can explore what legal rights you may have and figure out the best possible plan. The following questions will assist you to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury lawyer:
- When did the accident take place and where did the accident happen?
- What injuries did you receive as a result of the accident?
- Who else was involved with the accident and were there any witnesses?
- What information do you have on the person who caused the accident?
- What type of medical treatment did you receive immediately after the accident and what type of on-going medical treatment is currently being received?
- Do you have a copy of a Police Report detailing the accident?
- Have you received any communication from any insurance company that represents the person who caused the accident?
- Do you have copies of medical bills or other invoices that were a result of the accident and injury including any lost wages?
- How have your injuries affected your daily life?
In addition to preparing the information above, you should also be prepared to ask your potential lawyer some questions to validate their expertise and ensure their success. Some of the questions that you may want to ask a lawyer may be:
- What school did you obtain your law degree from and what state bar associations have you been admitted to (in addition to verifying they are currently in good standing with the state bar)?
- How long have you been practicing personal injury law?
- Have you handled personal injury cases like mine and what is your success rate with those similar cases?
- How are your fees handled? Do you work on an hourly fee or contingency fee?
- How long do you believe it will take to fully resolve the dispute or case?
An experienced and qualified personal injury lawyer is your best option when pursuing a personal injury case. By being fully prepared when first meeting with potential lawyers, you will create a fantastic start to maximizing the success of the case.